TITLE: Director of Development
REPORTS TO: CEO
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Director of Development works with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Board of Directors to plan and execute resource development strategies and monitor progress toward fundraising goals. Cultivate and solicit major gifts and grants from individuals, corporations, foundations, United Way, and community and government agencies. Responsible for providing leadership and direction to staff in order to support and implement goals of resource development and marketing.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
1. Provide leadership and direction to the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors in the execution of all development activities required to fund Club operations and deliver programs within the community.
2. In collaboration with Chief Executive Officer and Board, develop and implement a strategic plan for single and multi-year resource development efforts:
Research and analyze agency, corporate, individual and foundation donor base and recommend solicitation strategies;
Prepare and seek approval for corporate and foundation proposals to support the Club
Oversee planning for and implementation of special events, including the solicitation of sponsorships and gifts and the preparation of printed materials and publications;
Design and implement direct mail programs and annual appeals; and
Provide support for various fundraising projects/initiatives assigned by the Chief Executive Officer, such as endowments, major gifts and planned giving.
3. Ensure evaluation of development activities and identify opportunities to improve results.
4. Identify, recruit and train board members to participate in solicitation and other resource development activities.
5. Encourage and support board committees responsible for planning and implementing development activities.
6. Participate in the development, implementation and monitoring of the Club’s annual budget, controlling expenditures within budget and maintaining donor and financial records in accordance with standards.
7. Ensure productive and effective performance by all development staff.
8. Develop strategic alliances and collaborative partnerships with community leaders, local officials, other youth serving organizations, funders and community organizations.
Marketing and Public Relations
9. Increase visibility of Club development activities and maintain the public trust.
10. Identify and steward relationships with existing Club donors.
Ensure design, development, and distribution of public relations and marketing documents for use in the promotion of fund raising and education of the public, including press releases.
Internal: Maintain oral and written contact with the Chief Executive Officer, Board of Directors, staff peers, and volunteers for exchanging information, and provide progress reports as needed regarding activities and planned programs, and to coordinate events.
External: Maintain oral and written contact with other agencies, business leaders, community groups, boards of directors of such organizations, and the media for the purpose of exchanging information and ideas and for fundraising.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferred
• A minimum of three years nonprofit experience, specifically in fundraising and sales/marketing, or equivalent experience
• Considerable knowledge of fundraising techniques and sources of funding for nonprofits
Knowledge of: the mission, objectives, policies, programs and procedures and of the principals and practices of non-profits / youth development services preferred
Strong oral and written communication skills
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Club staff, board members, volunteers, community groups and other external parties
Working knowledge of sophisticated donor databases
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Send Cover Letter and Resume To: Jim Morgan, CEO firstname.lastname@example.org