Position Title: Grant Writer
FLSA: Non-Exempt, Part Time (20 hours/week)
Reports To: Development & Strategy Officer
The Grant Writer is responsible for researching, writing, and submitting grants for programs, exhibits, operational, and capital funding needs. Under the direction of and in collaboration with the Development & Strategy Officer, this position works cross-departmentally to attain annual goals through grant writing and stewardship. The position requires a deep understanding of Aquarium program priorities and potential funding partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Research funding opportunities and rate their potential for the Tennessee Aquarium and Conservation Institute based upon knowledge of institutional needs and strategic direction
2. Write and edit competitive grant proposals for both governmental and nongovernmental funders. Responsible for preparation of proposal narrative and budget, or review of scientific proposals drafted by Conservation Institute staff.
3. Monitor active grant schedules and write interim and final reports per donor standards
4. Maintain effective organization while working on cross-departmental proposals
5. Execute and maintain core values and service standards
6. Perform other necessary tasks as assigned by the Development & Strategy Officer or other Aquarium leadership
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to research, synthesize data, and the ability use this information to develop strong proposals
· An effective team player who communicates seamlessly with different departments at various levels within the organization
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
· Proficient in MSWord, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat
· Excellent budgeting skills
· Ability to work independently and support multiple projects
· Ability to respond quickly to external funding opportunities, changing priorities, and tight deadlines
· Bachelor’s Degree required
· Minimum three years’ proven experience in a grant writing position preferred
· Experience using Grants.gov and other federal agency-specific electronic submission tools
License or Certification Required
Normal office environment.
Some hot, cold or wet conditions.
Some outdoor activities.
Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
To apply, submit an online application through the Aquarium’s career site at tnaqua.applicantpro.com/jobs/.