Department: Youth Orchestra
Reports to: CSO Music Director
Hours: Part-time, Monday evenings required (rehearsals run August 19, 2019-May 4, 2020)
Salary: $6,000 (one-year contract)
Basic Function: The Youth Orchestra Conductor of the Prelude and Etude orchestras provides leadership and instruction to the youngest string youth orchestra members, many of whom are beginning players. The Conductor chooses appropriate repertoire for the skill level of each orchestra’s members and prepares music with each ensemble for three concerts during the season. Rehearsals are held weekly on Monday evenings between 5:15 and 8:00 PM (and follow the HCDE calendar for school closings). The Conductor manages each rehearsal to provide an environment conducive to learning and developing performance skills for young players that will prepare them for their own school orchestras or later membership in the CSOYO advanced orchestras.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• With the CSO Music Director, selects appropriate repertoire for each orchestra
• Assembles music folders for each musician and has additional music available at all rehearsals
• Leads rehearsals on Monday evenings
• Manages rehearsal environment alone with 6 – 40 students
• Attends and conducts final venue rehearsals and concerts
• Assists CSOYO manager with attendance issues as needed
• Requires all members to be in compliance with CSOYO policies and standards
• Strong Pedagogical knowledge of string instruments
• Experience in working with/teaching young children (elementary age)
• Some conducting skills/experience
Submit a cover letter and resume by June 24, 2019 to email@example.com or mail to:
Chattanooga Symphony & Opera
Attn: Samantha Teter
701 Broad Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402
No phone calls, please.
The Chattanooga Symphony and Opera reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment. All employees are expected to adhere to all terms and conditions of the Association’s Personnel Policies and Employment Manuals and other Association policies and procedures which may be promulgated and published from time to time.