Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian ministry founded on the conviction that every man, woman and child should have a decent, safe and affordable place to live.
This is a 12-month Appalachia CARES/ AmeriCorp contract position at Habitat for Humanity Chattanooga. This position reports to the Sr. V.P. of Construction & Programs. The position is full time, Tuesday- Saturday, and includes work in the office, on construction sites, and in the construction warehouse. If hired, the contract includes a living stipend, educational award, and benefits.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work on a Habitat construction site 3 days a week, site prep/ office work 2 days a week
• Assist with hands-on construction tasks, mostly on repair projects with some new construction work
• Manage materials on site, in the affiliate warehouse, and in storage trailers. Pick up and organize materials needed for projects.
• Lead small groups of volunteers while on the work sites.
• Use volunteer management techniques to facilitate positive experiences for volunteers and current and future homeowners working on site
• Collaborate with construction staff to identify skilled/enthusiastic volunteers and cultivate their involvement in Habitat’s work (i.e. encourage them to consider being trained as regular site leaders and/or returning volunteers).
• Maintain site safety through modeling of safety practices and guidelines, volunteer education, and site monitoring. Attend safety trainings with the construction staff.
• Participate in regular planning and debriefing meetings as needed.
• On occasion, member may participate in larger community projects such as lot clean ups, community gardens, etc.
• Attend and participate in select affiliate events; responsibilities may include set up, cleanup, and engaging with attendees
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements
• Construction experience, especially repair/ rehab work
• Experience with power tools
• Ability to drive large pick-up trucks
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Experience working as a member of a team
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
• Knowledge of community development practices
Physical requirements for this position
• Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
• Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two-stories
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions
Resumes accepted through Friday, May 24, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is located in the Chattanooga, TN Area
No Phone Calls please
Habitat is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Provides Equal Housing Opportunity