Animal Care Specialist I
At the Tennessee Aquarium, our mission is to connect people with nature and empower them to make informed decisions about water and wildlife. We are passionate about a number of values which include respect for research and conservation, a mindset of lifelong learning, and a diverse, collaborative and learning-based work environment.
The Aquarium is searching for an Animal Care Specialist I to maintain, exhibit, and conduct programs with animals in a zoological institution setting. While the primary focus of this position will be lemurs, additional duties may be assigned in other areas that include insects, mammals, birds and/or plants. The Animal Care Specialist I will gain experience in preventive health care and the identification of disease, develop a basic understanding of exhibit maintenance and development, and develop familiarity with the horticulture areas.
This position serves as an 18 – 24 month training period in which successful candidates will be promoted to Animal Care Specialist II. Previous experience with lemurs is desirable.
1. Daily care of assigned animal exhibit and back-up areas including feeding, cleaning, enrichment, health assessment, plant care assistance, and exhibitry techniques most appealing to visitors
2. Proactively and routinely engage Aquarium visitors with educational messages about our animals, plants and mission in both formal and informal presentations
3. Routinely partake in Extraordinary Experience presentations and assist in animal training
4. Research information to better understand assigned exhibits, animals and plants
5. Maintain appropriate records
6. Assist in developing new exhibits
7. Assist in areas assigned to other forest staff in their absence
8. Perform work in a manner that fosters the Aquarium’s mission and reflects its core values and service standards
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, herpetology or zoology preferred; a BS degree in a related field or equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of preferred degree
• Previous experience with lemurs and in animal husbandry and horticulture desirable
• Ability and interest to acquire knowledge of the care, husbandry and exhibition of animals and plants
• Ability to be a team player and communicate positively and effectively with all members of the Aquarium team and our guests
• Ability to work in hot/cold, wet and/or cramped spaces, climb ladders and lift/carry 50lbs
Full-time, $13.80 per hour; comprehensive package of benefits including health, dental, vision, retirement with match and base, sick and vacation time, holiday pay, and more!
To apply, submit an application, cover letter and resume at tnaqua.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
All submissions must be received by June 9, 2019.