The Chattanooga Area Food Bank is looking for five VISTA candidates that want to help us feed the hungry in our community. Every day our team of dedicated employees, volunteers and partners works to reach out and provide food to those who lack the resources to get enough to eat for themselves and their families.
The people we are looking for will have interests in helping others, food and nutrition, building lasting programs and learning about our ability to gather and distribute the resources we need. The VISTAS will develop our mobile pantry programs where we meet people in the community; reach out to farmers, grocers and manufacturers to bring in new food supplies; establish summer feeding programs in some of our underserved communities; grow community engagement by getting the word out about our needs and connecting to grow our food drive efforts; work directly with our partner agencies in our communities to improve our ability to meet the food need.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen or legal resident
• Willing to make a one year commitment
• Desire to help others
Founded in 1972, the Chattanooga Area Food Bank (CAFB) serves a 20-county region in Southeast Tennessee and Northwest Georgia. Our mission is to lead a network of partners in eliminating hunger and promoting better nutrition in our region. The CAFB envisions a region where access to healthy food helps people move toward healthier lifestyles and greater self-sufficiency.
Benefits of Service
1. Living Allowance Receive a modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses
2. Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) NCE is a unique hiring path which makes it easier for federal agencies to hire you.
3. Relocation Allowance If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you receive relocation travel assistance and a settling-in allowance.
4. Professional Development Training Attend in-person and virtual professional development opportunities throughout the year.
5. End of Service Award Choose between a Segal Education Award ($6,095) to pay for a range of education expenses or a cash stipend ($1,800).
6. Child Care You may be eligible to receive a child care benefit if you have children under the age of 13.
7. Healthcare Benefit: Choose between reimbursement for healthcare or a healthcare plan. Dental and vision are also included.
And many more benefits... You can find them at www.VISTACampus.gov/inservice/benefits-service.