Director of Development– Job Description/Duties
Saving animals – helping people. This is the mission of the Animal Care Trust d/b/a McKamey Animal Center.
McKamey Animal Center is entering its tenth year in operation. The Center was founded in 2008. At that time, the County Center, the Humane Educational Society (HES), was overburdened and required to provide care for animals throughout the County, not just Chattanooga. Its resources were stretched thin. An independent group of citizens began a campaign with the City of Chattanooga to build a new shelter. The shelter was built to accommodate City of Chattanooga animals only.
The Center recently completed a strategic plan for the next three years and as part of the Action Plan coming out of that process, we have created a new Director of Development position.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Development will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, including development and project management (business, partner and donor development, framing of key approaches, high-quality program delivery, written products). The Director of Development will partner closely with the ED to chart McKamey’s future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s services.
Internal - Department Development and Management
- Structure and lead teams to deliver outstanding work.
- Manage McKamey’s communication function and staff.
- Enhance and maintain our donor data and contact database to communicate with existing and potential donors, including timely acknowledgements.
- Identify and communicate restrictions on any gifts received.
- Develop thought leadership around specific topics and emerging practice areas.
- Create and execute a 10-year anniversary and capital campaign.
- Create and execute a planned giving program and related campaign.
- Create an organizational fundraising strategy.
- Define and monitor fundraising progress against goals and strategies.
- Prepare annual Development budget.
External - Partner Relations and Development
- Build and maintain strong partner relationships; exceptional relationship-builder, both major and small donor campaigns.
- Identify and apply for grants that support McKamey’s mission, including detail involvement in the grant writing process, for both foundation and government grants.
- Review grant and contract submissions prior to submission. Monitor progress and timely reporting requirements. Forecast grant and contract impact on operations and report results.
- Build sponsorship program to include solicitation of corporate and other sponsors, proposals and sponsor benefit package.
- Plan and manage execution all fundraising activities, including Special Events.
- Experience in a supervisory position in a non-profit organization, foundation, or government agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Track record delivering superior results, commanding respect, and assuming leadership roles.
- Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities;
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and a good attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds.
- Operates with excellence in mind in all matters, with the confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interfering.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Strong budgeting, financial and computer skills; experience with Donor Perfect or like development software.
- Strong social media skills.
- Passionate about McKamey’s mission and impact.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings.
- Transparent, direct, with substance.
- Self-starter, self-disciplined with follow through and accountability.
- Spark, imagination, creativity.
- Remain focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines, not intimidated by tasks/time limitations.
- The position is salaried and will require some time on weekends and evenings.
- Office hours are 9:00 to 5:00 M-F.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.