The Unity Center of Broad St. UMC is an afterschool program for K-12 students. They serve a diverse population through a variety of programming, including (but not limited to) reading, math, music, outdoor activities, and art. The Unity Center VISTA will build organizational infrastructure to increase the program’s capacity to serve underprivileged children and families through the development of several reading and nutrition curriculums and assessment tools. The VISTA will also increase the Unity Center’s volunteer base by creating a volunteer manual and protocols, volunteer training, and tracking systems to increase retention.
Learn more at www.unityctr.org.
Specific VISTA Member tasks will include:
- Develop and implement a pilot reading program for 1st and 2nd graders as part of the FUTURE After-School program
- Develop a Summer Reading Initiative for 1st through 6th grade
- Develop a year-long comprehensive 1st and 2nd grade Reading Program
- Create and plan “Fresh Not Processed-Reading and Food” Sessions (two 6-week sessions) for 1st and 2nd graders and their parents as part of the year-long comprehensive reading program
- Develop and implement a volunteer management program
The VISTA Member will gain invaluable professional development training, internal nonprofit management experience, and project management skills as well as general professional skills that will easily translate to many other career fields.
The successful applicant will have the following job skills/characteristics:
- Ability to organize and execute projects with little direction or supervision
- Organizational/administrative skills as well as superior written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to be flexible and effectively work as part of a team
- Basic computer skills, knowledge of web design and social media would be beneficial
- Heart for service to community and people of various backgrounds
- Ability to facilitate meetings and speak publicly about the served organization
- Professionalism (VISTAs will regularly work with local nonprofit leaders & community professionals)
- UWOR AmeriCorps VISTA Position Application (https://goo.gl/forms/pltXUbo9gpNljeMP2)
- Current Resume (email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Completed online profile at https://my.americorps.gov/. (Click on “Apply to Serve”).
- 2 References should be submitted through this site
Deadline to apply is Friday, February 23, 2018. For more information, please contact Brittany Stoess at email@example.com.