The United Way of the Ocoee Region is excited to announce the availability of a new AmeriCorps VISTA position for May 2017. The VISTA Member will be placed at Bridges out of Poverty, located at the United Way of the Ocoee Region, to build the organization's capacity to serve their mission’s target populations.
The goal of this VISTA member is to continue developing a sustainable Bridges Community in Bradley County. A Bridges Community is one that promotes and trains on the constructs of the book Bridges out of Poverty, engages multiple sectors (e.g. businesses, educators, nonprofits, etc.) to self-organize and take action around these concepts, and ultimately empower those in poverty. In a nutshell, the Bridges out of Poverty philosophy “holds up the lens of economic class as a way of analyzing the complexities of poverty. It also provides the community with a shared language with which to address both poverty and prosperity issues” (Bridges to Sustainable Communities, p. 5).
Learn more about Bridges at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ4bCoGc0Rs.
Specific VISTA Member tasks will include:
- Designing & tailoring Bridges training to community members and leaders
- Recruit and train Allies for the Staying Ahead program
- Developing a follow-up system to support organizations
- Designing outcome metrics
- Creating systems to ensure sustainability in the Bridges Steering committee
- Establishing intra-organization systems to coordinate referrals and track outcomes
The VISTA Member will gain invaluable professional development training, internal nonprofit management experience, and project management skills as well as general professional skills that will easily translate to many other career fields.
The successful applicant will have the following job skills/characteristics:
- Ability to organize and execute projects with little direction or supervision
- Organizational/administrative skills as well as superior written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to be flexible and effectively work as part of a team
- Basic computer skills, knowledge of web design and social media would be beneficial
- Heart for service to community and people of various backgrounds
- Ability to facilitate meetings and speak publicly about the served organization
- Professionalism (VISTAs will regularly work with local nonprofit leaders & community professionals)
- UWOR AmeriCorps VISTA Position Application (https://goo.gl/forms/pltXUbo9gpNljeMP2)
- Current Resume (email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Completed online profile at https://my.americorps.gov/. (Click on “Apply to Serve”).
- 2 References should be submitted through this site
Deadline to apply is Friday, February 23, 2018. For more information, please contact Brittany Stoess at email@example.com.